You may start your journey of being gluten free by making two versions of everything you cooked. The gluten-free version and one that is made with standard wheat flour. However, you might have realized soon that course of action just wouldn’t work out. It takes too much time and too difficult to prevent cross contamination with the regular wheat.
Regarding these reasons, you could choose to make gluten free breakfast biscuits which are also tender, flaky, but still light. Kind of biscuits that everybody would love to eat including those who don’t go for a gluten-free diet. It is also important to know the key to avoid it becomes dense and gritty. Just to make you will remember this, the secret is to melt the butter first.
If you have learned about baking, you may have a big doubt about this secret. But, you should try this first before going to against it furthermore. The melted butter will help to make soft and non-gritty texture, meanwhile, the seltzer water will make the dough lovely and high rise. As you mix the ingredients and make the dough, you will find it very sticky. Just keep it sticky and coat it with flour in order to avoid it being grainy and hard.
Here are the ingredients you should prepare before making gluten free breakfast biscuits.
- 1/3 cup or 76 grams sour mash
- 1/3 cup or 76 grams butter
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 3/2 cups of high-quality gluten free flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon tartar cream
- 1/3 cup plain soda
How to make gluten free breakfast biscuits
- Use a medium bowl to melt 76 grams of butter in the microwave for just 10 seconds. Take out and stir it. The butter will be just about melted.
- On the melted butter bowl, add sugar and the sour cream. Whisk until it is smooth.
- After that, you can start to add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, tartar cream, and salt. Still, the mixture with a fork until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add the plain soda and stir till it all comes together. The mixture should be completely sticky.
- Take about two tablespoons more of flour and lightly spread it onto the dough. Turn around the dough and spread the flour, so it is all coated. At this step, you need to be careful not to mix in the flour coating.
- Use your hands to flatten the dough into a circle with a ¾ inch thick.
- Fold the circle dough into a half circle, then fold in half secondly to make it a triangular shape. Afterward, you can pat it to make the thickness ¾ inch again.
- Repeat the previous step. The folding steps are the key to make gluten free breakfast biscuits layered and flaky.
- Cut the dough into little circles using a large cup or biscuit cutter. Arrange it all in a round pan close to each other.
- After pre-heating the oven to 425 degrees, bake the gluten free breakfast biscuits for 7 till 10 minutes. You should take the biscuits out just when the edges start to turn gold and brown. If you overcook it, the biscuits won’t be soft and flaky. Use a fork to pry it horizontally to check if it’s done.
Let us know if you liked the post. That’s the only way we can improve.